Thursday 14 May 2015

3 dresses, but no girl!

Forget about all my bag sewing: I am now obsessed sewing little girls dresses. The moms of my sewing class want to make dresses for their daughters. I have no daughter, so no experiences in sewing easy summer dresses. I studied on P-i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t all weekend and filled up my pin-boards with cute models. On Monday I've been ready to attack the first, followed quickly by the second and third ...

1.) The easiest dress ever! I up-cycled an old men's-shirt that is violet (the only color I don't like, so I never used it). I used this pattern click and the dress had been ready in no time. I think it took me longer to print out the pattern and iron the shirt, than to cut and sew the dress.
I kept the buttons on the front (or is it the back?) and I also recycled the hem, so this saved some time either. 
I had no girl to try out the dresses (and my boys refused to wear them :-)), so all the dresses are not tested jet, but I can't imagine that they are not fitting one girl or an other! For now I had to photograph them on hangers. I will invite some girl friends of my youngest and make a photo shooting with them soon. 
This one can be a dress or a tunic depending on the size of the kid. Any way you can use it at least two years. This size is meant to be for a 4 or 5 year old.

2.) This dress calls "Lillith" and I found the pattern here
Also very easy to sew and available in sizes 92 to 116. I made it in 116. The skirt part is a very light cotton fabric. The top is more stable as it is doubled.
The top is closed with a simple button on the back.

3.) This model can be made as a top or a dress and I decided for a top. It's called "flutter sleeve dress" and the pattern is available in US size 4T (what is about 98-104 in European size), but there is a good explanation how to ajust the pattern for an other size. I found the pattern here.
I think those little sleeves are adorable and I can't wait to see the top on a little girl. I added a zigzag-ribbon on sleeve and hem for decoration. The original has been made with a small pompom trim, what I liked a lot too, but didn't have in my stock.

Those are for now the 3 patterns I tested and I think they are all usable also for beginners too. This dresses won't be the last, I have some more that I want to try out. 
A big Thank-you to all those that are sharing their patterns in the web-world! This is making sewing so very easy and convenient. 

A bientôt,
Jane 


As I used not only one, but three pins from P-i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t I think I will link this post to German link party at "Lillesol-und-Pelle" that's encouraging to actually use the pins you are stocking for years. You can find the Mai collection here

Actually I even made a forth dress or better a baby tunic that will be for my little baby niece, but I need to make some pants to finish this outfit before I can show it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment