Thursday 8 March 2018

Tunic in green

It has been a while since I dare to sew a piece of clothes for me. There are two reasons: clothes need a lot of fabric and I fear that the result isn't wearable and I have to throw fabric away (horrible thought).
I am tall and have very long arms and legs. That are the main problems to find fitting clothes in stores and also to find patterns for sewing. I normally have to modify a pattern and it's not done with only adding 10cm in length. But as I fear to ruin the fabric (see above) I hesitate to modify patterns. A horrible circle!
But this don't stop me from buying from time to time fabric that I can already imagine as a top for me. Then it gets in my stack and getting old there :-) But now I saved one fabric from the cupboard and transformed it in some kind of a tunic.
I took a pattern I once took from a good fitting under-shirt and changed it a bit. The important for me had been to have the shoulder-sleeve connection right. The sleeves are double to have the effect of a long sleeve under a T-shirt sleeve. They are fixed together on the shoulder seam.
 
The length of the short sleeves had been initially as long as the top part of the tunic above the dark stripe. But I had to shorten the top part as it had been too long and I didn't feel like opening up the sleeves again as well.
The neckline is simply doubled. I feared that step, because I hate when the hem is getting wavy, but it worked perfectly in the first go.
All together I am very happy with my new top. I would have liked to have another pattern to start with, but it worked not bad and I think the result is somewhat wearable :-) It is very narrow fitting on the sleeves and shoulders, as the pattern had been for a shirt that is to wear under other things. I can't wear much under my tunic, so it is not made for cold winter days, but I can already feel the spring coming, and then it will be perfect. 

A bientôt,
Jane

linked at: RUMS (german blog-party for stuff you made only for yourself)

No comments:

Post a Comment